First I want to thank everyone for their moral support and suggestions.
I agree that the fabric is really an important consideration. I’m on the fence about this particular cut. It is a 100% Linen but flows and drapes like slinky. If I’d been using slinky, I would not have chosen a shirt pattern and maybe I should have used a different pattern with this linen. I just thought: Linen. You know, good, well-behaved linen. I’ve never seen a linen of this quality. I have a continuing issue with pairing the right fabric with the right pattern. I think I need to be giving more thought, much more thought to my fabric’s qualities instead of just categorizing knit or woven. But what’s done is done and I’m at the point of saying, I’m not sure if this fabric is worth any more effort (not to mention that I don’t have large enough pieces for the collar pattern included.)
I also really wanted to try this pattern. When CLD patterns work for me, they are the most wonderful patterns in the world. The fit issues are solved with the first garment; and usually that’s my standard back-waist length BWL and narrow shoulder adjustments NSA. I use the patterns which work for me over and over, not only in their original format but as a basis to imitate RTW which attracts me. So I really wanted to see if this pattern was going to be a new TNT for me.
But I wasn’t about to rip out that collar. Louise’s instruction have you stitching and fusing with Steam-A-Seam. It’s nearly impossible to open up such a seam. Usually I damage the garment beyond use. — like big honking holes and threads flying off into the atmosphere. Instead, I hung the partially completed blouse on Mimie until I could decide what to do.
See, I was taught a long time ago, actually in a Home Decorating class, that when you have a big ugly error you either make a feature out of it or your nail paneling on-top to completely hide it. My Paneling:
It helps to have an extensive machine embroidery collection and Embroidery Machine. I measured the collar and started hunting for both trims and small doily like pieces. I printed several of the doily like pieces out (in true size), trimmed the excess paper and started trying those on the back of the collar. I liked this design the most:
but it was too tall. It nicely covered up both goofs (being off center and upside down). I don’t like to resize Free Standing Lace, even though I don’t make true FSL. I always slip a coordinating tulle in the hoop. As I fussed with the printed copies of my designs I realized I could just press the excess over the top of the collar. Since I haven’t worn the blouse for an extended period of time, I don’t know if this will irritate the back of my neck. I do know it’s a beautiful solution. My only concern is will the by-hand, slip stitching hold through multiple wears and laundries?
I was distressed with how much this fabric wrinkled just from that little bit of stitching. After the pics, I spray starched and reironed. But I can tell you the wrinkling will be a major factor in the wear this gets and whether it stays in my closet. I know myself. I will stop wearing a garment which doesn’t fit and look nicely.
I like that the TBP can be worn as an over blouse. Many times this winter, I’ve added a long sleeve blouse for a bit of extra warmth. Blouses and vests are not as restrictive as jackets; and sweaters are often too hot for inside the house.
I made a size small and yes I trimmed the tissue. I did my narrow shoulder adjustment but didn’t shorten the pattern with a back waist length alteration. The pattern shoulder was dropping off Mimie by about 3 inches. It should be drop shouldered, so I only removed the normal 1″. The patten has pretty straight sides ie. no body curves; and I could see there was at least a 2″ hem. So no BWL seemed to be needed. In the pics though it looks like the back is hanging up on my hips. I’ll bet if I do the BWL, that will go away. However, the blouse also seems to be rising up in the front. Maybe I should just do a sway-back adjustment instead?
I’m not sure I like the width at the hems of sleeves of View B.
I have 2 buttons left. Maybe I should fold the sleeve hems into something narrower and secure them with a button:
I often laugh at the CLD patterns. These are the only patterns in the world where I am classified as a SMALL. I might should have made an XS. I didn’t because I usually wear a Small in CLD patters and I compared my last Loes Hinse pattern (it was still on the cutting table). An XS would have been too close across the hips but this small seems really roomy and too large under the bust. But WAIT, I can’t trust this fabric. Both collar and stand GREW after cutting. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making the next copy without any other pattern alterations.