I’ve had a bad run of sewing (perhaps I’ll share in another post) and needed a success. I decided to pull out my Tabula Rasa Tee pattern and work towards having a short sleeve version in addition to the full and sleeveless versions.
I put on one of my TRT’s and stood in front the mirror with a ruller trying to decide how much shorter the sleeve should be. I thought about 12″. I figure I will use this new sleeve style from time to time and it is different enough from the long sleeve to warrant a pattern which would include a hem allowance. I folded up the full sleeve 12″ ; traced around the existing pattern and transferred all the markings. After that, just a matter of cutting and stitching my TNT TRT.
Except that the first version looked frumpy. “Oh, of course” I thought. The length I traced, created a half sleeve (elbow length). This is not a flattering length for me and I’ve seen several designers/stylists who immediately change the half-sleeve into something else flattering to many of us. Anyway, I shorten the sleeve 3.5″ (1.25″ was the turned up hem); stitch, try on again, and then I cut the sleeve off another 1.25″. The final “sleeve” is really short:
And still not typical T-shrit length. Looking at the sleeve above, I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to develop the short-sleeve length I desire. I have to think of this a bit.
But I count this as a success. I do have a much shorter sleeve which looks pretty good.
. OK, I’m never going to look like some movie star but I can look like a nice, pleasant little old lady