I wanted an easy success. Fit for Art Tabula Rasa is a good choice. (They won’t let me link to a pic, so if you want to see the schematic, click on the link). I still want to make winter/cool weather clothes. It may be warming, but I am still in South Dakota. Typically we have long cool springs–feels more like a drawn out winter thaw sometimes. No more sweater knits in the stash, but I do have a couple of cushy double knits like this bright blue ponte purchased I think from Fabric.com
To position large prints and stripes, I expanded the quarter pattern pieces into full (both sides instead of a quarter placed on a fold or cut double). I find the full pattern pieces easier to use when working with stripes and yes I care even when the stripes are as subtle as these. I’m also still concerned with easy access to my port during chemo treatments. So for the neckline I chose to make a high surplice and drafted my cross-over piece
One of the things I really love about Peggy Sagers, is the freedom to slash and develop the pattern into something unique for yourself. I didn’t want two full fronts, just a left underlay. So I copied about the the top 3rd of the front. Held it up to my body and marked how deep I wanted the neckline. Using my curve, I drew a neckline. Didn’t like that,so I drew another. Finally I shortened the piece to above the bust darts.
I’ve gotten to the point I hate facings and didn’t want to use them, but I feared FOE would not wrap the edge nicely. I chose to cut a neck binding and for good measure contrasting cuffs of the same black knit. It was only when I saw the finished pics that I thought Star Trek.
Anyway, easy sew. Once your fit the FFA and understand the directions, feels practically like it puts itself together.
After several years and many pounds, I am beginning to notice fit issues. Like the diagonal on the left back…
duck butt on the side view (especially prominent on my left side). Also either I’ve got my bra straps way too tight or the bust dart is in the wrong place. I’m rather surprised I hadn’t noticed that in the hundred or so previous versions. What you can’t see, is that the sleeve feels very close especially with this 20% stretch ponte.
I tried to fix the fitting issues by adding 1/4″ along the seam allowances but I think I really need to trace and fit the next size up. I’m not really sad, just a twinge of regret, when realizing at the rate I’m gaining weight I probably will only wear this top during the rest of winter and early spring this year. In a way, that’s OK because the fabric was a concern. I bought it thinking pants but didn’t want to wear the bright blue on my bottom. My style is either monochrome/pattern or darker on bottom with lighter brighter on top. When I looked at the bright blue, I couldn’t find anything lighter or brighter either in my stash or my closet to wear as a top. I knew if I made pants, they’d sit in my closet. I like the top and while not planned, I realized I would be happy wearing it with blue or black pants because of the black binding.
Next time however, I will be refitting.
Note all photos were headless because my hair is having a particularly bad time. It is almost 3 inches long and all fuzz. On this day I had tried wrapping it around curlers to dry because I didn’t want to stand in front of the mirror for an hour with the curling iron. It didn’t work. Not only is the hair still frizzy but now it breaks and sticks out in clumps. Iin multiple places.