I purchased this fabric earlier this year from Craftsy. It was called Italian Floral Woven.100% polyester. It does not feel like polyester. Crepe weave. Light. Drapes like a gorgeous rayon crepe. It’s called ‘Italian’ but it definitely reminds me of Indian fabric printing blocks. When I purchased I didn’t know if I was making a blouse, a dress or what. A skirt would be stunning in this fabric and print.
Last night it told me what to do. I pulled out my TNT Tabula Rasa Jacket to make a light weight layer for those cold places I find myself in. I planned for navy-blue, bias-tape, front finish with a button about waist height. I didn’t want to put a buttonhole in this fabric. But realized quickly my second choice of a hair-band button-loop wasn’t going to work either. It was too heavy. I ended up binding the front and neckline and allowing it to drape. I may go back and add front ties. Not sure.
Because the pattern is already fit, this was super quick to sew. I had it cut and photographed in about 3 hours. The only issue was that the fabric wanted to ravel. I stopped during applying the bias tape along the front band to apply Frey Check along the whole edge.
I top stitched 1.25″ deep hems for the sleeves and lower edge. I like the weight that a hem adds.
I may want to hem the sleeves a little higher or even cut off an inch and rehem. I had forgotten that myTRJ pattern is fit for 1/2″ shoulder pads. Without the pads and with this fabric, the sleeves are a bit long.
This jacket demonstrates why I love TNTs. I created a lovely garment in mere hours. Spent most of my thought solving creative problems – like comparing 3 shades of bias tape to pick the best.