I’m pleased to report that I have a new camera, a Nikon S3500. It’s an easy camera that takes 20mp pictures. It seems to be able to compensate for my tendency to shake the camera. However I’m still working out some issues. I cropped these pictures to 300pixels, like usual. They were still far to large. I’ve resized using WordPress’s on-line utility but I’ve noticed that doesn’t always work. So I’m once again able to take high quality pictures, but I need to learn how to manipulate the new size to create what I need for my blog. Please be patient just a bit longer
I needed a new copy of this pattern:
I gleefully cut my first pattern to my size. Now several years later, I need a larger size. An entirely new pattern was in order because I also slashed the pieces to accommodate my narrower shoulder and shorter frame. This time, I traced the tissue. Frankly, I hope never to change sizes again. But just in case I’ll have this reliable pattern to trace for the next needed size.
I think the drawing doesn’t quite show this design to it’s best advantage. On me, it is a modified T-shirt type pattern. Modified for woven, non-stretch fabrics. Also that’s not the drop shoulder of a typical T-shirt sleeve. On me it falls just off my shoulder point. This is truly a wonderful pattern and I hope everyone has something similar in their stash. Once fit, it is very quick to make. It’s called the 2X4 because several easy changes are included. If I remember correctly, Louise designed it so that you could create 8 designs (2*4=8) from the enclosed pattern pieces. It is loose fitting but you can select sizing based upon ease desired.
For today’s project I chose the size which would give me 7″ of ease across my hip. I also decided to forgo the neat hem vents at both the sleeve and bottom because I had just used them with the Ebb. My fabric is a light 100% polyester woven. No stretch, but with the 7″ of ease has a nice floating effect. I found the fabric at Hancocks in Sioux Falls. Or maybe I should say it found me. This was one of those experiences when I rounded the end to a new row. You’re looking at what 200? 400? 600? bolts of fabric all lined up on the double rows of shelves. But all I could see, was this fabric. I checked the price. Checked the fiber. I just wasn’t sure about 100% polyester. It can be a super fabric. It can also be intolerably hot and spring was just ending. Several months later, I returned to the store and the fabric was still there! Well if that isn’t a sign from above I don’t know what is. I bought 2 yards thinking of long blouse. At the time I didn’t notice this was a diagonal print. It took several false starts before settling upon the 2×4 and a layout attempting to match the diagonals–which didn’t work. Matching diagonals didn’t work.
Something I learned in the past is that a solid area between two visually disjointed areas can actually camouflage the discordant shapes. The solid area allows your eye to rest and so your brain doesn’t realize the areas don’t match. This is particularly helpful with large plaids or stripes and even prints. To form my solid area, I used bias tape folded in half and inserted into the seam. It’s just snuggled there between the two right sides while stitching. I pressed the seam to one side and top stitched only one side.
My fix does not help between sleeve and the body of the garment. But it most certainly does work for the side and shoulder seams.
I used the same bias tape to finish the neckline.
The binding is stitched to the right side, joined, pressed, flipped to the inside and top stitched. It’s a quick lovely finish but unfortunately did not stretch enough causing my neckline to gap slightly.
I’m not sure if I’m going to fix the gaping. I could easily run elastic behind the bias tape or with a little more effort remove the bias tape and substitute facing or a ribbing. Truth is, I was much more interested in the fit of the garment. I basted the side seams together and was thrilled. It is a little over-sized. I kept it from looking like I was playing dress-up with mommy’s clothes by hemming the sleeve at my wrist and making the bottom hem 2″ wide.
I finished it off and starting taking the pics above. I also decided to check the fit with 3/8″ shoulder pads. I ditched the shoulder pads because I didn’t see an improvement on the front view and the back gave me football shoulders.
Guys, I love this blouse, just the way it is.